HIS MOM AND ME Headline Animator

HIS MOM AND ME

Monday, February 28, 2011

Do-It-Yourself Uncrustables - Cheaper and healthy!

I LOVE Uncrustables!  Piper likes them too!

My love for Uncrustable has made me overlook the fact that the jam contains high fructose corn syrup.  The peanut butter is full of sugar and partially hydrogenated soybean oil.  Oh ya, and the bread has hydrogenated soybean oil and high fructose corn syrup. 

Why take an amazingly simple idea - frozen PB&J sandwiches - and then add a bunch of junk?

Well, I’ve been trying to overlook the junky additives.  My mother-in-law won't let me and if we’re going to do this whole blog thing together, I have to keep her happy. 

Althout tension between the authors of a blog could be interesting, we all know how important it is to keep the mother-in-law happy!  So today I made a healthier (and cheaper) version of Uncrustables.  They turned out well.  If you'd like to try to make them, here's how:

I started at Valley Natural, where you push the button to grind the peanuts yourself.  That way the peanut butter is completely fresh and made of ONLY peanuts!  How novel.  Plus, it's just $2.69 a pound!

Look at that fresh PB on the left!
After trying 4 different types of bread, I can tell you that ONLY the Whole Wheat Wonder Bread worked for me.  The others broke apart - even the white bread.

You'll want to look for that package on the left. 
Next, just press the Whole Wheat Wonder Bread as flat as possible. 

I don't have a rolling pin, but rolling a glass worked great.
Then you'll want to put peanut butter on the center of both pieces of bread.

Next you'll take the homemade jam your mother-in-law made and gave you for free and put a good size glob on the peanut butter.

This was when I was trying to do it with white bread, but you get the idea!
Now just place the sandwich together, just like you'd make a normal PB&J sandwich and find a large circular object, that has sharp edges.  I used the top of a martini shaker.

Placing the martini shaker (or whatever you choose to use) over the center of the sandwich and press all the way down. 

Then twist your circular device back and forth, like che-che-che.

And here's a look at the final product! 



Take the scraps and you can either cut away an excess PB&J and make croutons, or feed them to the birdies!


Now just put your crustless snacks in the freezer!  You can eat them frozen, or send them with your kids for lunch and it will be thawed just in time!

These delicious sandwiches save money, eliminates useless packaging and it's much healthier than the store bought kind! 


No comments:

Post a Comment