HIS MOM AND ME Headline Animator

HIS MOM AND ME

Friday, May 6, 2011

Confessions of a Reluctant Grandmother-

I've been wanting to write this for a while, and I guess with Mother's Day this weekend, it's a good time.
Maybe other grandmothers have felt this way... I don't know. I hope I'm not the only one.
What you hear is- being a grandmother is the BEST thing! You can watch them and spend time with them and then send them home.  All that is true.

When I first found out I was going to be a grandmother I was happy....... kind of.  To be honest, to my self, it meant getting older. Grandmother's are old! I'm not old. And I still have kids at home--- I haven't had that l-o-n-g-ing, to have young children back in my life. What I heard from friends was "Congratulations", "how wonderful."  Then I met a girlfriend for lunch- and she said."OH NO! If you are going to be a grandmother than that means I'm getting older too." Wow, I could relate to that.

Babies are born and it is WONDERFUL, I love them. But  being reluctant also, was the feeling of caring so much . Finally my own kids are getting older, where you still care, but you can let go a little. With new little ones, you love so much, that you can't help but be  wrapped up in them.
Do I sound like an awful person?

....now, I can say, it is wonderful- and you know what? I don't feel older- I'm just much more blessed.     My life is more full..... there's room for more.   (4 granddaughters and 1 more baby coming). You get to know these tiny, little cool people and love explodes!!!!


My goal is to keep my life interesting. So, I may not be available to spend time with them every time they need me. I'm going to be out "doing things!" I want them to find me to be such an interesting person, that they "want" to spend time with me. I want to be a "cool" Oma.
 Hey, by the way- you get to pick your own name, unless they pick it for you.  I'm Oma- I picked it. There is nothing better than having them come running up to your  door, yelling- "Oma, Oma, Oma"..... and jump in your arms.     So cool!  It is really all good.
Happy Mother's Day!

"Gram" with Josh

Great grandma Hudson

Grandma Jean

No comments:

Post a Comment